OLA Call for Candidates
Was one of your New Year’s resolutions to get more involved in your profession? Do you want to make a big difference for Oregon libraries? Or perhaps you know someone else who’s been pondering these questions? Either way, I want to hear from you!
Oregon Library Association is looking for a few good folks such as yourselves to run for the Executive Board. The Board governs OLA and helps make sure that great things happen. There are six Board meetings a year, plus an annual summer planning retreat. Most meetings can be attended remotely, so whether you’re from a small rural community or the Portland metro area, there are opportunities for you!
OLA Board positions are only open to OLA members, but they’re not just for library directors or degreed librarians! We welcome candidates who hold any position in their library, or no position at all. Friends, Foundation members, and Trustees are also invited. You can make an impact no matter how you support libraries.
Here are the positions open this year and their terms. Elections will be held following the annual conference in April. Job descriptions are attached. All positions are voting members of the Executive Board.
Vice-President/President-Elect (3 years)
- Provides leadership for OLA.
- Chairs the Executive Board.
- Serves as VP/President-Elect for first year, President for second, and Past President for third.
- We’re particularly seeking support staff from any type of library to run this year.
Secretary (1 year)
- Keeps records of Executive Board meetings and retreats.
- Keeps records of OLA membership meetings.
Treasurer (2 years)
- Oversees finances of OLA, with assistance from the OLA Association Manager.
- Presents regular financial reports to the Executive Board.
- Chairs the Finance/Investment Committee.
American Library Association Councilor (3 years)
- Represents OLA at ALA Council meetings during the annual and midwinter conferences (expenses paid).
- Keeps OLA membership and Board abreast of ALA activities.
- Coordinates remote conferencing technology for OLA Board meetings.
Do these opportunities pique your interest, or do you know someone else who’d be a great candidate? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at 971-270-0527 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please express your interest by the end of February to ensure consideration by the Nominating Committee. Thanks!
OLA Immediate Past President, 2018-19