Call for Proposals for OLA 2009 / RFP: Project Manager for Amo Leer Grant / SSD Elections / CSD Performers Showcase / CSD Fall Workshop
*** Call for Proposals for 2009 OLA Conference
Planning for the 2009 OLA Conference is underway! The conference, April 1-3, 2009, returns to the Salem Conference Center in Salem, OR. This year’s theme is: Oregon Reads: One State, Many Stories and you are welcome to incorporate the theme into your proposals, if you feel inspired to do so.
The Program Committee is now accepting preconference and program proposals. Please refer to the Best Practices flyer for information on creating successful program proposals. The OLA Conference will continue its tradition of asking you to secure a sponsor from an OLA unit for your proposal. To aid you, the flyer also lists groups that can sponsor programs and contact information.
The deadline for OLA preconference and program proposals is: SEPTEMBER 22, 2008. Please use the web forms at http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=74389&orgId=ola to submit your proposals. The Program Committee will acknowledge receipt of proposals within three business days. Final preconference and program decisions will be made by the OLA Conference Committee and announced by October 31, 2008.
OLA 2009 will once again feature showcases! The deadline for showcase submission will be in November. A separate call will go out for showcase proposals.
Key conference information is available at: http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=74389&orgId=ola or, from http://www.olaweb.org >> Events >> OLA Conference 2009, with additional information coming soon.
Please let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance.
We’re looking forward to a great conference!
Jane Nichols, Chair, OLA 2009 Conference Programming Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend all meetings of the Amo Leer Task Force (up to 5 during this time period)
- Provide weekly e-mail updates to the Task Force on project activities
- Develop the application for libraries to apply for materials
- Distribute the application to all qualified libraries
- Receive and review all applications and provide them to the Amo Leer Task Force
- Contact all applicants and notify them if they have been selected or not for the Amo Leer project
- Put out a bid to vendors to provide 20 sets ($9,000/700+ books each) of core Spanish/English and Spanish children’s books aimed at 3rd grade reading level and lower
- Review the bids and make a vendor recommendation to the Task Force
- Work with the Task Force to finalize the selection of materials
- Manage the contract, obtaining the appropriate CSD and OLA signatures and appropriate filings with OLA for billing and payments
- Contact the participating libraries and assist them in selecting their materials
- Order the materials and arrange for their delivery to the participating libraries
- Consult with the participating libraries in adding these materials to their collections (cataloging data and jackets and other processing will be done by the vendor, etc). The participating libraries will do any local processing and add the records to their catalog.
- Develop, with input from the Amo Leer Task Force, promotional and training materials for the participating libraries to assist them in utilizing the collections in the best manner possible. This will include a sticker to place on all materials noting the AMO LEER project.
- Develop and print or upload web-based materials for promotion or training
- Schedule and arrange for training sessions conducted by the Amo Leer Task Force members for the participating libraries
- Develop the statistical report for participating libraries to begin their statistic gathering at time of the grant award and at the end of the grant cycle
The Project Manager will work on this project from September/October, 2008 until April/May, 2009 (seven months), with time spent to be approximately 200 hours. (Please read the full description of the grant project.)
The proposal should include: experience and background managing projects, library experience and background, experience working with Spanish speaking communities, work plan and cost.
The SSD election ballot will be on the Support Staff Division webpage by Friday, August 15th. All SSD members are encouraged to cast your votes! The positions of Chair-Elect (three year commitment – 1st year as vice-chair; second year as chair; third year as past-chair), Recorder (one year position), Treasurer (two year position), Archivist ( one year position) are on the ballot as well as two member-at-large positions. These all comprise voting positions on the SSD executive board. Any of you who are interested in having maximum input into the direction SSD takes for the coming year, give us a call/e-mail. The positions of Chair-elect and member-at-large are without candidates at this time. SSD welcomes all interested members to attend board meetings or to contact board members with any questions or concerns you might have on any support staff topic. If you are support staff but are not currently a member of SSD or OLA, scholarship funding is available, do inquire. Check the SSD webpage for postings of the dates and locations of future board meetings. We look forward to the continued participation of support staff throughout the state. For more information, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.Return to Top of News
*** CSD Performers Showcase
Youth library staff are in for a treat at this year’s Performer’s Showcase, which will be held on Saturday, September 27 at Salem Public Library. Response from youth performers has been overwhelming this year, necessitating extending the showcase hours, which will be from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Contact BJ Quinlan for more information: email@example.com.
Save the Date! Youth librarians – mark your calendars and save the date for the OLA CSD Fall Workshop on Saturday, November 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. We’ll be announcing the location and program line-up very soon.
The Project Manager of the Amo Leer project will: