Yes, it’s time to nominate your colleagues for OLA Honors & Awards!
Who has done an outstanding job or taken on a project or been responsible for a success in our libraries this year? Tell us about those talented, dedicated individuals whose commitment to excellent library service has made a difference. The OLA Honors & Awards Committee want to know who those individuals (or groups) are and we want you to tell us!
Nominations may come from all types of libraries and from all kinds of librarians, staff and supporters.
Nominations are open for the following awards:
Oregon Librarian of the Year
Library Employee of the Year
OLA Distinguished Service Award
Library Supporter of the Year
Nomination letters (with no more than six letters of support) are due Friday, March 20, 2020
These awards will be presented to recipients at the 2020 OLA Conference Luncheon Banquet in Bend on Friday, May 1, 2020.
Here’s the details on each award:
- Oregon Librarian of the Year may be awarded to any Oregon librarian who has been working in an Oregon Library for at least two years in a paid professional position. The nominee must demonstrate excellence in library service in his or her community and to Oregon libraries. The nominee must be a member of OLA.
- Oregon Library Employee of the Year may be awarded to any Oregon library staff member who has worked in an Oregon library for at least two years as a paid staff member and demonstrated excellence in library service in his or her community.
- Oregon Library Association Distinguished Service Award may be awarded to any Oregon librarian or library staff member, who has been in the profession for 15 or more years, has worked in Oregon libraries for at least ten years, and is currently a member of OLA, for exceptional service over a period of years.
- Oregon Library Supporter of the Year may be awarded to any volunteer, volunteer group, library Friend, board member, government official, or other individual who is not a paid library staff member and who has demonstrated excellence in supporting and promoting Oregon libraries.
If you need more info, read the awards guidelines and let me know if you have questions. Take a look at https://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=251
Your letter (e-mail) of nomination should include the following information, if pertinent, and be as informational as possible:
* Name, contact information, current position for nominee
* Award for which you are nominating the person or group
* Description of why your nominee should be selected for an OLA Award
* OLA activities: committee appointments, etc.
* Past positions held and summary of major accomplishments (for Distinguished Service Award)
* Your name and how you can be reached if the committee has questions
Please send nominating letters and supporting letters by Friday, March 20, 2020, to:
Elsa Loftis, HAS Chair
We prefer e-mail, but you can also send via mail to me at:
Portland State University
Att: Elsa Loftis
951 SW Hall Street
Portland, OR 97201
E-mail or call me at 503-725-5780 if you have any questions. We will be looking forward to your nominations.
Elsa Loftis, Portland State University, Chair
Leah Griffith, Newberg Public Library, Retired, Past-Chair
Esther Moberg, Seaside Public Library
Sonja Somerville, Salem Public Library
Karen Muller, Hillsboro Public Library
Mo Cole, Oregon City Public Library, Retired
Susan Stone, Portland Public Schools